Monday, July 11, 2011

Green eggs, hold the ham.

These eggs came from the Farmers Market I go to almost every Sunday from May. -Oct.. Two of eggs are green. I paid more then I should have, but I will sleep better knowing they came from happy and comfy Chickens. Other things I bought at the market...Maple butter, berries, and dill. The garden we have is providing us with plenty of other goodies, therefore I had no need to buy any veggies. I have green beans coming out of my ears right now. But the best part of going to the Market are memories that flood back to me from when I went to Vermont as a kid. I went during some Winters and Summers up until I was about 11 or 12. During the Winter my aunt would put me in a snow suit I hated and we would walk up to the woods. That snow suit was uncomfortable and I spent to much thought on who might see me in my warm get up. Mind you there was not a soul out there. In the woods we would ride on the back of a tractor and help collect sap buckets from the maple trees, part of the process of making Maple syrup. After we picked up all the buckets we would head to the sugar house to boil, skim foam and cook the sap until all was syrupy goodness. Sometimes I would sit out in the snow behind the house and drink a cup of hot sugar water. I love real maple syrup. There is no substitute. During the Summer my aunt and I would visit all the nearby neighbors, and when I say near, not really, but we would walk. We would walk by the cows at one farm, we stopped for little chat with them and on to the next farmhouse. At the next farm is where I found my love of goats, chickens and Mountain Bernese Dogs. I thought that house was the best place to go that Summer. The woman who owned it had puppies, which are always fun and she had Chickens that laid Green Eggs, also fun. I had seen brown ones before, but green seemed crazy at the time. I made my aunt make them the minute we got home to see if they tasted any different, which they didn't. As far as the goats, whenever I see one now I laugh. I think they are so funny. To me they look like little old men, wise old men who know some secret. Not to mention goats are very pushy, which is also great for laughs. Ahhhhh fond memories.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, those are great memories!! What a sweet experience as a young child. Get it sweet/maple syrup, LOL! :) And you know fresh eggs are the only ones we eat thanks to our girls Lucy, Zowie & Mazie

    ReplyDelete